What is a PITOT STATIC tester / Air data test set?
A Pitot Static tester / air data test sets are pressure generators and measurement instruments that can simulate the altitude and speed of on-board aircraft equipment.
The name ‘Pitot Static’ comes from the ‘Pitot & Static’ tubes on aircraft that are connected to the testing instrument.
Two common names for Pitot Static are:
• Pitot/Static Tester
• Air Data Test System (ADTS) or Air Data Test Set
Why would you need a Pitot Static tester / Air data test set?
Flying conditions need to be simulated for on-board equipment to be certified. Aviation equipment requires this testing when it is manufactured, repaired, or integrated into the aircraft.
Pitot Static testers / Air data test sets are used:
• For workshops to test on-board instruments when they are manufactured, repaired or calibrated
• For hangar or tarmac to verify the instrument directly on the aircraft–On the aircraft, all of the equipment is connected externally to Pitot tubes or to a hole on the aircraft.
How does a Pitot Static tester/Air data test set work ?
A Pitot Static tester generates pressure or a partial vacuum to simulate altitude and speed.
The following on-board equipment is subject to Pitot Static testing:
• Altimeter for altitude
• Airspeed indicator for speed
• Rate of climb indicator for vertical speed
• Flight computers and aero-dynamic computer
• Computer sensors
• Safety sensors
• Pressure switches